Where is Gales Creek in Newport NC? Gales Creek is located in the western part of Carteret County running across Highway 24 and is directly connected to Bogue Sound. The exact GPS coordinates are 34°43’49.0″N 76°54’01.8″W.
The purpose of this article is for visitors to Newport NC and Carteret County to ask questions about this body of water which extends in to the Croatan National Forest, and for locals to answer questions by the general public. To engage with this article, please use the no registration form located at the bottom.
Gales Creek Data And Demographics
- Located at 34°43’49.0″N 76°54’01.8″W and runs from Bogue Sound across Highway 24 in to the Croatan National Forest.
- 3,029 feet from Hibbs Road, 2.62 miles from Broad Creek, 6.16 miles from the intersection of Highway 24 and Highway 70 in Morehead City, and 10.07 miles from Highway 58 in Cape Carteret NC.
- Is 827 feet at is widest, and runs roughly 1.28 miles until it branches at the East Prong and continues in to the Croatan near Eagle Rd.
- Nearby roads and streets include Gales Shore Circle, George Taylor Rd, Sound Blvd, Old Swansboro Rd, Eagle Rd, Sam Hatcher Rd, Eckerd Rd, and Celess Lane.
- Nearby landmarks include Camp Albemarle, Nature School at Camp Albemarle, Broad Creek Middle School, and the Croatan National Forest.
- This area sits in an area prone to wildfires within local area forests.
- The speed limit for traffic across the bridge on Highway 24 is 55 mph.
- Water quality is high salinity brackish water.
Local Area Creek Data And Discussions
Request for information from visitors and locals
As it relates to tourism, what are some popular things to do and see near this body of water?
Where are the nearest campgrounds, RV parks, or local hotel and motel?
What opportunities are there for commercial fishing and recreational fishing on this body of water?
What is the average depth of this waterway, and what types of fish and shellfish are located in and around the area?
Besides the local forest this waterway sits near, are there any other wildlife refuges or nature preserves in the immediate area or in Newport NC?
What types of coastal marine mammals and birds will you find in this waterway?
Tell us about some local efforts by conservation groups which protect water quality and animal ecosystems within and near this body of water.
What types of boats can access this area, or what is the average height at high tide from the water to the bottom of the bridge over Highway 24?
Is this place conducive to catching shrimp, harvesting oysters, or other shellfish? Or, are there any restrictions to harvesting shellfish in Gales Creek NC?
When there are active wildfires within the forest, how is this waterway and surrounding wildlife, streets, roads, schools, and homes affected?
What is some other data someone visiting Gales Creek in Newport NC might like to know which we did not cover in this article as it relates to landmarks, public interests, lodging, wildlife, fishing, recreation, and tourism?