In this guide we are going to explore some ways in which a NC business can harness modern search engine optimization (SEO) and social marketing to spur greater growth and development of it’s products and services. This article is for business owners and managers who need greater search and social visibility locally, regionally, nationally, or internationally for the products and services they engage in.
Further reading: NC Tourism
Grow Your Business With Search Engine Optimization (SEO) And Modern Web Design
SEO is the process of making sure your business is found in organic search results, business listings, or advertising areas for keywords related to your business and it’s mission. Below are areas of development you must consider when building your corporate or e-commerce website (or having it redesigned).
- 54% of your search traffic and social media traffic is coming from a mobile device. Your website must be responsive to any device or computer a visitor views your site on.
- Your entire website must serve pages over HTTPS rather than HTTP. Research shows that all search engines give a boost in ranking to SSL enabled websites.
- The speed at which your website loads content is crucial to ranking and ability for the search engines to crawl your site. Therefore, choose your hosting provider carefully, use modern web programming, and consider using cache to serve static content.
- The repetitive use of keywords in your website’s content will hurt your SEO efforts. It is good practice to develop a good title for all pages on your website around what you are writing about, mention what you are writing about in the first two sentences of the content, and then again at the end of your page. In the middle of your content is where you you will want to talk about your long tail keywords (more on this here).
- Do your keyword and long tail research. Know what people are searching for as it relates to your product and services. Then, build content around those searches.
- A content relevant video embedded in your content and near the top of your page will dramatically boost where you show up in the search results. Additionally, original images you take or create in the content will boost ranking as well.
- Use Google (search console) and Bing (webmaster tools) to claim/register your site, and then submit a sitemap to them so that they know what pages on your website exist. This helps with crawling your website and getting pages indexed so that Internet searchers can find them. Information contained in webmaster tools and search console gives you crucial data that will tell tell you about site speed, code errors, and what keywords people used to get to your site. Using these technology tools are also crucial in developing new content for your site.
- Learn more about data highlighting, structured data, and rich cards, then deploy this on your website. Using these tools will significantly make you stand out in the search results compared to other sites. Google also gives sites that use these tools a boost.
- Internal linking to other content on your website is crucial. Not only does it help with search crawl efforts, it will in time build authority to linked pages. When writing any page on your website, include two internal links to content on your site, as well as one outgoing link to a website that is closely relevant to what your page is about. However, do not link to an external website that is exactly what you are writing about.
- The click through rate (CTR) of your website is overwhelmingly crucial when Google, Bing, and other search engines decide where you rank on the Internet. If searchers enter your site and then leave without clicking through to other content, it tells Google and Bing that your site must not contain valuable data, does not aid the searcher in finding information, or that your site has a speed issue, poor navigation, or contains malware.
- The META description to any page on your website has NO effect on where you rank, but it does sell searchers on whether they click on your site compared to others. Write compelling META descriptions that lures readers in. This will significantly help your CTR and click rate.
- Websites that have new content weekly rank higher in the search engines, therefore your need to start blogging about any and all information as it relates to your services and products. The more data you have on your website, the more impressions you have from searching. The more impressions you have increases click rates and CTR. The more clicks you have, the more business you get.
- Install Google Analytics on your website and you will have access to information that will blow your mind. You will know the gender of people visiting your site, what region of the world she/he came from, what time of the day they visited, what she/he clicked on, what search terms he/she used to get to your site, and other information. This information will help build a better marketing strategy. And, Google likes when you use their Internet technology.
Using the best practices from the data above, a NC business owner will increase his/her business development and business growth over time and will help position the business to rank for searches in expanding markets.
eCommerce enable your company
If you have a product that can be shipped, please take the time and effort to build in e-commerce on your website so that you can expand your business in to new markets.
Social Media Signals To Your Website Increases Click Rates, CTR rates, and Traffic
- When Google, Bing, and other search engines see traffic coming from sites like Facebook, Twitter, Youtube, Pinterest, and Reddit, it tells them that you are an active business interested in marketing your website. These marketing efforts will not only help with building new customers, the search engines will reward you with higher ranking.
- Use the 80-20 rule when using social media sites. For every two links you put on social media going back to your site, give back eight shares to other businesses content and actually talk to others that follow you. This relationship building will increase shares of your content and will increase your social signals, click rates, and CTR rates. If all you do is paste links from your website on social sites and do not engage, chances are people are just going to ignore your efforts.
- If you are a Raleigh NC real estate agent, are you aware of what people globally are putting on social media? Is it possible someone 800 miles away said something along the lines of “Well, me and the husband are moving to Raleigh next year, guess it’s time to start looking for a home.” At the rates people are using social media, this type of information is being put on Facebook, Twitter, and Reddit by the minute. Use the search feature on social sites to find it.
Using the best practices on social media that we just listed above will help a NC business leverage new traffic and relationships with new and existing customers in expanding markets. And, it is crucial to your organic search growth and development as well.
Visit the NC Department of Commerce
Want to know more? Use the comment form below or see the link to my social network profile on this site and let’s talk about it.