No registration required public forums for readers to discuss things to do and see when traveling to regional areas within NC and by county.
We hope you will share this document on social media sites like Facebook and Twitter so that others can join the conversation and contribute interesting and insightful data on local tourism related interest. You can contribute either to ask questions, or as a local in a NC county who is interested in promoting her or his local community.
To contribute, simply read over the sections below and find interesting things you want to know more about or to educate others on, then go to the bottom and write out a comment for whatever section number pertains to your interest. Be sure to subscribe to comments so you will be notified of replies and note which section number you are talking about.
When we receive your comment, we will transfer your discussion to the section of your interest and link it to your contribution so that people can begin a discussion with you. When submitting information, be sure to mention which NC county you are in, along with pertinent travel information about the attractions you recommend for people to see and things to do locally.
See Example: Under Eastern NC, Section 18 and 22, for Michael.
Western NC Mountain Region
County and City information for this region will include Cherokee, Clay, Graham, Swain, Macon, Jackson, Haywood, Transylvania, Henderson, Polk, Rutherford, McDowell, Madison, Burke, Caldwell, Wilkes, Alleghany, Ashe, Watauga, Avery, Mitchell, Yancey, and Buncombe County.
Major cities and tourism areas for travel include Asheville, Banner Elk, Beech Mountain, Blowing Rock, Boone, Sugar Mountain, Cherokee, Maggie Valley, Brevard, and Lake Junaluska.
Things To Do And See Locally
Section 1 – Recommendations on hotels, motels, bed and breakfast, and other lodging.
Section 2 – Major attractions, destinations, public interest, and events.
- Mary is looking for vacation ideas in the Blowing Rock and Watauga or Caldwell County specifically relating to wineries and farms.
Section 3 – Suggested recommendations on kids activities.
- Suggestion from Margaret on the well known wild west theme park Tweetsie Railroad near Blowing Rock and Boone NC. If you have questions about this location click on the link above.
- Suggestion from Matt to see Sliding Rock in the Pisgah National Forest near Brevard.
Section 4 – Specific discussions on major mountain landmarks, ski resorts, and lakes.
- Janette is looking for recommendations in Brevard, Cherokee, or Asheville.
Section 5 – Discussions on restaurants, bars, and other entertainment for nightlife.
Section 6 – Travel by plane, train, or automobile.
Section 7 – Vacation ideas.
Section 8 – Major Festivals, Fairs, And Musical Events.
Central NC Triad Areas, Piedmont, And Charlotte
County and City information for this region will include Richmond, Anson, Union, Moore, Montgomery, Stanly, Mecklenburg, Gaston, Cleveland, Lincoln, Cabarrus, Lee, Randolph, Davidson, Rowan, Catawba, Alexander, Iredell, Davie, Yadkin, Surry, Stokes, Rockingham, Caswell, Person, Granville, Vance, Franklin, Warren, Chatham, Forsyth, Guilford, Alamance, Orange, Durham, and Wake County.
Major cities and tourism areas for travel include Raleigh, Durham, Winston-Salem, Greensboro, Charlotte, Chapel Hill, Burlington, High Point, Southern Pines, Asheboro, Statesville, Mt. Airy, Gastonia, and Hickory.
Things To Do And See Locally
Section 9 – Recommendations on hotels, motels, bed and breakfast, and other lodging.
Section 10 – Major attractions, destinations, public interest, and events.
- Jacob has recommended the NC Zoo in Randolph County and in the city of Asheboro. Be sure to ask him questions about the zoo using his linked name.
Section 11 – Suggested recommendations on kids activities.
Section 12 – Specific discussions on major landmarks and lakes.
Section 13 – Discussions on restaurants, bars, and other entertainment for nightlife.
Section 14 – Travel by plane, train, or automobile.
Section 15 – Vacation ideas.
Section 16 – Major Festivals, Fairs, And Musical Events.
Eastern NC, Beaches, and Outer Banks
County and City information for this region will include Brunswick, New Hanover, Pender, Onslow, Carteret, Hyde, Dare, Tyrrell, Currituck, Camden, Pasquotank, Perquimans, Chowan, Bertie, Hertford, Gates, Northampton, Halifax, Nash, Johnston, Harnett, Hoke, Scotland, Robeson, Cumberland, Sampson, Wayne, Wilson, Edgecombe, Washington, Martin, Pitt, Greene, Lenoir, Jones, Duplin, Bladen, Columbus, Beaufort, and Craven county.
Major cities and tourism areas for travel include Wilmington, Jacksonville, Swansboro, Emerald Isle, Morehead City, Beaufort, Atlantic Beach, Cape Hatteras, Ocracoke Island, Buxton, Nags Head, Kill Devil Hills, Kitty Hawk, Elizabeth City, Greenville, Rocky Mount, Fayetteville, New Bern, Wilson, Goldsboro, and Kinston.
Things To Do And See Locally
Section 17 – Recommendations on hotels, motels, bed and breakfast, and other lodging.
Section 18 – Major attractions, destinations, public interest, and events.
- Michael – Cape Hatteras NC in Dare County is a global destination renowned for it’s extremely remote position on the Outer Banks offering world-class fishing, diving, historical importance, lighthouse, and charter fishing boats that take groups to the Gulf Stream waters. Mostly family owned lodging, so no chain hotels or motels. Incredible getaway without a lot of bells and whistles. The closest commercial airport for air travel will be in New Bern NC (Coastal Carolina Regional Airport), then take the ferry system from Cedar Island to Ocracoke Island and then Hatteras. Outside of tourist season DO CHECK lodging availability. Recommended things to do and see are the lighthouse, and very remote and secluded beaches extending North and South on the Outer Banks.
Section 19 – Suggested recommendations on kids activities.
Section 20 – Specific discussions on NC beaches and barrier islands along the Outer Banks.
Section 21 – Discussions on restaurants, bars, and other entertainment for nightlife.
Section 22 – Travel by plane, train, boat, or automobile.
- Michael on commercial airline service for Cape Hatteras NC.
Section 23 – Vacation ideas.
Section 24 – Major Festivals, Fairs, And Musical Events.
Note: If you are a NC county tourism official and want to use the discussions from a verified account, please CONTACT US.
The information in the external link below shows the available airports in North Carolina that currently offer commercial airline service to each region listed in this database. We will have a link soon on Amtrak stations in the state .
Air Carrier Information (external link)