This is a community discussion on the history of Davis Island NC which is located at the mouth of Jarrett Bay along Core Sound in the down east portion of Carteret County and is roughly 9.33 miles from the Cape Lookout lighthouse by water.
Readers and historians are encouraged to use the no registration form below to add information to this page, along with having ongoing discussions with our staff and other readers. Additionally, below we’re going to ask some interesting questions about this property and location in the hopes someone can answer them.
- Located at GPS coordinates 34.759872, -76.486937.
- Nearest landmarks include Jarrett Bay, Core Sound, and Cape Lookout National Seashore.
- Nearest down east towns include Davis, Smyrna, and Williston NC.
- At it’s widest: 1,047 feet, and at it’s longest: 3,498 feet.
- 800 feet by water from mainland Carteret County near Spit Bay and Davis NC.
- 3.14 miles to the south Core Banks.
- Sits at the mouth of Jarrett Bay.
- This island was once connected to the mainland, but a hurricane in the early 1900s cut it off.
- This 49.44 acre island was for sale for many years, but was purchased on January 24, 2020 for $1,100,000 which includes a 7 bedroom, 3 bath, 5,554 sq. ft mansion built in 1885, and also has a caretakers cottage which is 4 bedrooms with 2 baths and barn.
- Original owner is the Davis family of down east. Last known owner is Robert Humber II who’s family bought the property in the 1930s. We have no information on the new owners.
- This island is exceptionally vulnerable to hurricanes, tropical storms, nor’easters, and rising waters which threatens it’s continued existence.
- A small maritime forest is prominent on this land mass, along with sandy beaches.
Davis Island Near Cape Lookout NC Discussions
We’d love to hear from Robert Humber II on the history of this property dating back to the 1930s, and how the island has changed since his family bought the property. Which hurricane in the early 1900s created the cut from the mainland? What was the ultimate decision which made you sell this island and mansion?
For the new owners of Davis Island, is it your intention to invest money into remodeling the mansion and caretakers cottage, or demolishing it and building a new home? What is the outlook for this island considering future storms and rising water? Are efforts underway to protect this area from continued erosion or flooding?
Or, can anything be done?
Prior to the hurricane which created a cut, what significance did this area hold to Davis NC? Were there ever any other homes on this property which were abandoned after the cut off?
Are there any clear channels which allows a boat easy access across Core Sound to the south Core Banks?
As a local living in this Carteret community, tell us about the history of the towns which make up down east, other waterways, and islands along the sound.
Other than the information above, what’s some other history about this unique land mass that you think readers might like to know? Let us know using the form below.
Filed: NC history