Where is the Roanoke Sound located in NC? This sound is located on the central portion of the Outer Banks and separates the Pamlico Sound and Albemarle Sound to the south and north respectively. Additionally, this body of water sits between Roanoke Island and the outer island.
Please consider this article to be a place potential visitors and vacationers can ask questions using the no registration form below, and for those knowledgeable about things to do, places to see, and other tourism related information to answer questions.
Furthermore, we hope you’ll consider sharing this article on social media sites so others can learn more about this area.
Information we hope to learn more about can include fishing opportunities, nearby cities and towns, campgrounds, RV parks, motels and hotels nearby, and other lodging information. Other information can include nearby airports, interstates and roads, national parks and wildlife refuges, and places along this waterway’s banks to observe nature.
Lastly, what are some great times of the year to visit the Roanoke Sound in NC?
Demographics And Data
- Roughly 13 miles running north to south, and 2.23 miles running east to west.
- Located in Dare County, with Hyde County to the south and Currituck County to the north.
- The southern portion of this body of water contains several smaller islands, most notably hog, smith, off, herring shoal, and cedar islands.
- Highway 64 traverses this body of water and connects with Highway 12 to the east and route 345 to the west.
- Nearby cities and towns include Manteo, Nags Head, Wanchese, and Oregon Inlet.
- The Roanoke Island Marshes and Nature Preserve sits directly to the west of this waterway.
- Bodie Island Lighthouse sits along the southern border, and Jockey’s Ridge State Park sits along the northern border.
- Broad Creek extends from the southern border and runs to the northwest into Roanoke Island.
- Tourism related restaurants, lodging, and shopping centers are convenient during the late Spring, Summer, and early Fall. Some of these businesses have the potential to close outside of these months.
- The nearest airport with commercial airline service is in Elizabeth City.
Roanoke Sound Tourism Questions
Considering motels, hotels, RV parks, campgrounds, and other lodging, what questions do you have and what information can you offer someone planning to visit here?
In thinking about fishing opportunities, what inshore charter fishing services and offshore services operate near this sound?
Tell us more about standout seafood restaurants and other restaurants within this Outer Banks region.
How far of a drive is this area along Highway 12 from the airport in Elizabeth City?
What notable wildlife refuges, state parks, and nature preserves did you visit while traveling to this area?
What are some must see places and things to do while vacationing in communities surrounding this body of water?
Considering recreation, how prevalent is boating in this area?
What are some notable landmarks within communities along this sound?
What is the best time of the year to visit? Or, what time of the year did your family visit?
Are there any boating tours which take sightseers to area islands and marshes?
What types are wildlife are prominent along this waterway?
Using the no registration discussion form below, what questions do you have, and what information can you tell us about in relation to Roanoke Sound NC which we did not cover in this document?